- Press Release Distribution

Unfavorable social factors may raise heart disease risk factors in Asian American adults

The link between social determinants of health (income, neighborhood cohesion, psychological distress, etc.) and cardiovascular disease risk factors varied widely among some subgroups of Asian American adults, finds a study in the Journal of the American

( Research Highlights:

Asian American adults with more unfavorable factors related to income level, education, housing, access to health care and other social variables had a greater likelihood of having risk factors for cardiovascular disease in this study. The relationship between social determinants of health and cardiovascular disease risk factors varied widely among some Asian American subgroups, based on the study’s findings. Embargoed until 4 a.m. CT/5 a.m. ET Wed., April 3, 2024

DALLAS, April 3, 2024 — Having more unfavorable social determinants of health, such as being unemployed, uninsured or not having education beyond high school, was associated with an increased likelihood of having risk factors for cardiovascular disease among Asian American adults, according to new research published today in the Journal of the American Heart Association, an open access, peer-reviewed journal of the American Heart Association.

The investigation also noted that the link between these unfavorable social determinants of health variables and cardiovascular disease risk factors varied widely among people in different Asian American subgroups in this study. An association does not mean that social determinants of health directly caused the risk factor.

“Despite the perception that Asian Americans may be less impacted by social determinants of health compared to people in other racial/ethnic groups, our findings indicate unfavorable social factors are associated with higher prevalence of cardiovascular risk factors among Asian American adults,” said lead study author Eugene Yang, M.D., a professor of medicine at the University of Washington School of Medicine in Seattle.

“The Asian American population is the fastest growing racial/ethnic group in the United States,” Yang said. “People of South Asian heritage have higher rates of premature heart disease globally, and they recently have been found to have higher cardiovascular mortality than non-Hispanic white people. Better understanding of why differences in cardiovascular risk exist among Asian subgroups is vital to reducing risk and improving outcomes.”

Researchers examined data from the National Health Interview Survey conducted in the U.S. from 2013 to 2018, which included 6,395 adults who self-identified as Asian.

Researchers rated 27 social determinants of health factors as favorable or unfavorable in six areas: economic stability (which included employment and income status); neighborhood and social cohesion (which gauged neighborhood trust and whether homes were owned or rented); psychological distress; food security; education; and health care utilization.

The analysis found a significant relationship between unfavorable social determinants of health and cardiovascular disease risk factors. This relationship varied among people in different Asian American subgroups. Among the findings:

For all Asian groups included in the data, a higher unfavorable social determinants of health score by one standardized unit was associated with a 14% greater risk of high blood pressure; a 17% greater risk of poor sleep; and a 24% greater risk of Type 2 diabetes — all of which increase the risk for developing cardiovascular disease. Specifically, more unfavorable social determinants were associated with: a 45% greater likelihood of Type 2 diabetes among Chinese adults and a 24% greater likelihood among Filipino adults; a 28% greater risk of high blood pressure among Filipino adults; a 42% increased likelihood of insufficient physical activity among Asian Indian adults, a 58% increased likelihood among Chinese adults and a 24% increased likelihood among Filipino adults; a 20% likelihood of suboptimal sleep among Asian Indian adults; and a 56% and 50% likelihood of nicotine exposure among Chinese adults and Filipino adults, respectively. Compared with other Asian American subgroups, adults who identified as Filipino reported the highest prevalence — 4 out of 7 — cardiovascular risk factors: poor sleep, high cholesterol, high blood pressure and obesity. Yang said many social determinants of health are often interconnected, such as neighborhood cohesion, economic stability and use of the health care system.

“It is important to understand how different Asian subgroups are affected,” he said. “When Asian people are lumped together, higher risk groups like South Asian people may not be treated aggressively enough, while groups with lower risk, like people of Korean and Japanese descent, may be overtreated for blood pressure or cholesterol.”

Study background and details:

The large, cross-sectional study reviewed data from 2013-2018 National Health Interview Surveys — annual, nationally representative surveys of U.S. adults. Of the 6,395 Asian adults in the survey, about 22% self-identified as Filipino adults; 22% as Asian Indian adults; 21% as Chinese adults; and 36% as other Asian. The sample size of Asian American individuals in the national survey was too small to analyze several major Asian populations, including Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese people, as well as other smaller Asian subgroups. Nearly 56% of the group were women, and nearly 52% were between the ages of 18 and 44. About 77% of the participants were born outside the United States. Participants were assigned scores for social determinants of health by categorizing 27 variables as favorable or unfavorable. The cardiovascular risk factors were self-reported and were similar to the American Heart Association’s Life’s Essential 8 — eight lifestyle metrics assessing ideal cardiovascular health. These eight metrics include: following a healthy diet, maintaining a healthy weight, getting regular exercise and enough quality sleep, avoiding nicotine exposure and maintaining healthy levels of blood pressure, glucose and cholesterol. However, healthy diet was not measured in this study. Reaching optimal levels of these eight metrics improves heart health and reduces the risk for heart disease and stroke. Limitations of the study include that its small sample size did not allow for analysis of some Asian subgroups (Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese and other Asian people). In addition, it examined self-reported survey data on social factors and cardiovascular risk factors at a single point in time. Therefore, the analysis could not assess long-term social determinants of health patterns, and it could not prove that unfavorable social factors caused the development of cardiovascular disease risk factors. Furthermore, language barriers may have been a factor for some participants because the National Heath Interview Surveys were only conducted in English and Spanish.

Study authors noted that it is vital to include more Asian Americans in national surveys to reveal potential differences in optimal social determinants of health profiles and cardiovascular risk factor prevalence and outcomes.

Co-authors, disclosures and funding sources are listed in the manuscript.

Studies published in the American Heart Association’s scientific journals are peer-reviewed. The statements and conclusions in each manuscript are solely those of the study authors and do not necessarily reflect the Association’s policy or position. The Association makes no representation or guarantee as to their accuracy or reliability. The Association receives funding primarily from individuals; foundations and corporations (including pharmaceutical, device manufacturers and other companies) also make donations and fund specific Association programs and events. The Association has strict policies to prevent these relationships from influencing the science content. Revenues from pharmaceutical and biotech companies, device manufacturers and health insurance providers and the Association’s overall financial information are available here.

Additional Resources:

Multimedia is available on the right column of release link After April 3, 2024, view the manuscript online. AHA health information: What are the social determinants of health? AHA news release: Non-biological factors and social determinants of health important in women’s CVD risk assessment (April 2023) AHA news release: Heart-healthy lifestyle linked to a longer life, free of chronic health conditions (March 2023) 2024 AHA Policy Statement: Addressing Structural Racism Through Public Policy Advocacy Follow AHA/ASA news on X (formerly known as Twitter) @HeartNews Follow news from the Journal of the American Heart Association @JAHA_AHA About the American Heart Association

The American Heart Association is a relentless force for a world of longer, healthier lives. We are dedicated to ensuring equitable health in all communities. Through collaboration with numerous organizations, and powered by millions of volunteers, we fund innovative research, advocate for the public’s health and share lifesaving resources. The Dallas-based organization has been a leading source of health information for a century. During 2024 - our Centennial year - we celebrate our rich 100-year history and accomplishments. As we forge ahead into our second century of bold discovery and impact, our vision is to advance health and hope for everyone, everywhere. Connect with us on, Facebook, X or by calling 1-800-AHA-USA1.




AI helps to detect invasive Asian hornets

AI helps to detect invasive Asian hornets
Artificial Intelligence can be used to detect invasive Asian hornets and raise the alarm, new research shows. University of Exeter researchers have developed VespAI, an automated system that attracts hornets to a monitoring station and captures standardised images using an overhead camera. When an Asian hornet visits, VespAI can identify the species with almost perfect accuracy – allowing authorities to mount a rapid response. Asian hornets (also known as yellow-legged hornets) have already invaded much of mainland Europe and parts of east Asia, and have recently been reported in the US states of Georgia and South Carolina. The ...

Pressure determines which embryonic cells become ‘organizers’

Pressure determines which embryonic cells become ‘organizers’
(Santa Barbara, Calif.) — A collaboration between research groups at the University of California, TU Dresden in Germany and Cedars-Sinai Guerin Children’s in Los Angeles has identified a mechanism by which embryonic cells organize themselves to send signals to surrounding cells, telling them where to go and what to do. While these signaling centers have been known to science for a while, how individual cells turn into organizers has been something of a mystery. Until now. In a paper published in the journal Nature ...

Global rollout of Skin Observer by NAOS and Haut.AI in 2024

Global rollout of Skin Observer by NAOS and Haut.AI in 2024
Tallinn, 3rd April 2024 - 10 AM CET – NAOS, the French founding company behind pioneering ecobiological skincare brands BIODERMA, Etat Pur, and Institut Esthederm, introduces its innovative new digital tool Skin Observer in collaboration with Haut.AI, a leader in AI applications for skincare and skin aging. The partnership merges cutting-edge AI technology with deep expertise in skin ecobiology.  Developed in collaboration with dermatologists, NAOS Skin Observer offers quick and precise skin analysis, recommending customized rituals adapted to individual skin types. The system adjusts routines based on user preferences, dynamic skin ...

New Paradigm of Peace through Health: Traditional Medicine Meditation in the Prevention of Collective Stress, Violence, and War

A breakthrough perspective article in Frontiers in Public Health, "Peace through Health: Traditional Medicine Meditation in the Prevention of Collective Stress Violence and War," sheds light on the profound impact of the Transcendental Meditation (TM) program on fostering global peace. The article reviews and analyzes the demand for public health and medicine to help prevent collective violence and “intractable” wars in the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Africa and elsewhere and ...

Machine learning enables viability of vertical-axis wind turbines

Machine learning enables viability of vertical-axis wind turbines
If you imagine an industrial wind turbine, you likely picture the windmill design, technically known as a horizontal-axis wind turbine (HAWT). But the very first wind turbines, which were developed in the Middle East around the 8th century for grinding grain, were vertical-axis wind turbines (VAWT), meaning they spun perpendicular to the wind, rather than parallel. Due to their slower rotation speed, VAWTs are less noisy than HAWTs and achieve greater wind energy density, meaning they need less space for ...

E-cigarette users now more likely to quit traditional cigarettes

A new paper in Nicotine & Tobacco Research, published by Oxford University Press, finds that smokers who switch to electronic cigarettes are now more likely to stop smoking regular cigarettes. In the past, smokers who began using electronic cigarettes mostly continued smoking. Electronic nicotine delivery systems first emerged on the U.S. market in 2007. The first e-cigarettes resembled conventional cigarettes (in appearance) and used fixed low-voltage batteries. Beginning in 2016, manufacturers introduced e-liquids containing nicotine salt formulations. These new e-cigarettes became widely available. These nicotine salts are lower in pH than freebase formulations, which allow manufacturers ...

Chatbot guides women through post-prison challenges

Most women leaving prison face profound disadvantages and rarely have access to the resources needed to settle back into the community. Seemingly simple tasks such as obtaining replacement identification documents or opening a bank account become tangled in complexities. Now researchers at the University of South Australia are co-designing a chatbot to help formerly incarcerated women re-establish their lives on the outside, and reduce the risk of them returning to prison. Led by a team of UniSA researchers in collaboration with advocacy group Seeds of Affinity, the tech-based solution aims to help women access trusted ...

Doctors on front line of tackling childhood obesity but more training and resources needed

Doctors are feeling unable to tackle growing problem of childhood obesity due to a lack of training and capacity according to new research. In a paper published in the British Journal of General Practice, researchers from the University of Birmingham conducted in-depth interviews with healthcare professionals (HCPs) to understand their experiences of supporting families to tackle childhood obesity. One participant in the study said: “I had one mum and her child was overweight, but she was a young parent and she actually didn’t know how to cook the dinners and, yeah… we spent a lot of time with her giving her ...

Galaxies get more chaotic as they age

Galaxies get more chaotic as they age
Galaxies start life with their stars rotating in an orderly pattern but in some the motion of stars in more random. Until now, scientists have been uncertain about what causes this – possibly the surrounding environment or the mass of the galaxy itself. A new study, published in a paper today in MNRAS (Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society), has found that the most important factor is neither of these things. It shows the tendency of the stars to have random motion is driven mostly by the age of the galaxy – things just get messy over time. “When we did the analysis, we found that age, consistently, whichever way we slice or dice it, is always the most ...

Sandia pumps $140B into the economy through technology development

Sandia pumps $140B into the economy through technology development
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — To say that the technology and products Sandia National Laboratories researchers have helped imagine, innovate and industrialize have had a massive impact on the country would be an understatement. Two studies commissioned by Sandia and the National Nuclear Security Administration show Sandia’s work has had an overall economic impact of $140 billion since the year 2000. That’s a significant figure, especially considering it spans just 20 years, less than a third of Sandia’s 75-year existence. “I am very proud of how Sandia excels in fulfilling its technology transfer mission to deliver economic impact to the U.S.,” ...


New statewide research reveals the staggering economic cost of intimate partner violence in Louisiana

From ashes to adversity: Lessons from South Australia's business recovery amidst bushfires and pandemic

Multiple pollutants from crop and livestock production in the Yangtze River: status and challenges

Unraveling the unique role of DELLA proteins in grapevine flowering: A shift in developmental fate

Next-generation treatments hitch a ride into cancer cells

Unraveling the role of DlBGAL9 and AGL61/80 in Longan somatic embryogenesis and heat stress tolerance: A multi-omics approach

Decoding pecan pollination: A dive into the chloroplast genome of 'Xinxuan-4' and its impact on cultivar diversity and efficiency

KD-crowd: A knowledge distillation framework for learning from crowds

Can animals count?

Australian media need generative AI policies to help navigate misinformation and disinformation

Illuminating the path to hearing recovery

Unlocking the secrets of fruit quality: How anthocyanins and acidity shape consumer preferences and market value

Evidence for reversible oxygen ion movement during electrical pulsing: enabler of the emerging ferroelectricity in binary oxides

Revolutionizing Citrus cultivation: The superior tolerance and growth vigor of 'Shuzhen No.1' rootstock

Family and media pressure to lose weight in adolescence linked to how people value themselves almost two decades later

Despite the desire to reduce the risk of imitation, new research suggests startups should scale slowly and steadily

The Lancet: Many people with breast cancer ‘systematically left behind’ due to inaction on inequities and hidden suffering

From opioid overdose to treatment initiation: outcomes associated with peer support in emergency departments

NIH awards $3.4 million to Wayne State University to investigate biomarkers for better reproductive success

New study shows corporate misconduct at home hurts sales overseas

Take it from the rats: A junk food diet can cause long-term damage to adolescent brains

Fralin Biomedical Research Institute team unpacking genetic mysteries of childhood epilepsies

UNC-Chapel Hill researchers discover new clues to how tardigrades can survive intense radiation

UT Arlington prioritizes entrepreneurship efforts

Ochsner Health receives 2024 Top Workplaces Culture Excellence Awards

Are these newly found rare cells a missing link in color perception?

Annals supplement highlights important new evidence readers ‘may have missed’ in 2023

NIH awards $2.3 million grant to University of Oklahoma for gene therapy research

Hidden threat: Global underground infrastructure vulnerable to sea-level rise

Study reveals AI enhances physician-patient communication

[] Unfavorable social factors may raise heart disease risk factors in Asian American adults
The link between social determinants of health (income, neighborhood cohesion, psychological distress, etc.) and cardiovascular disease risk factors varied widely among some subgroups of Asian American adults, finds a study in the Journal of the American